Progress and Updates for making Gummy Bears

Josie B, project organizer
Aidan S, project designer, et al.

Jackeline, project collaborator

This project incorporates 4 different elements of study. First, we are 3D printing a 4.5cm by 2.3cm brick with the WISRD logo extruding from it. Then, we are making a food grade silicone mold of the brick. Next, we are creating a gelatin mixture to make the candies out of. We will then distribute the candies to the school.

The Purpose of this project is to “Debunk the Myth that WISRD is just for the Smart Kids, while simultaneously spreading awareness about the varied projects and field of study that WISRD Members are encouraged to pursue” (Josie B. 2017).

Jackeline – February 1st:

After making grape, cherry, and lime flavored gummy bears, they were distributed to the 8th graders during lunch, as an attempt to recruit new members for WISRD. Additionally, while the gummy bears were being made, a member from the WISRD Production Team filmed the process so that it could be included in the new production video, WISRD: Who We Are.

Aidan S. – January 18th:

Today we made and additional 4 silicone molds. Each mold was set with 5 individual pieces, meaning at one time we can make 24 gummies. We used the same food-grade silicone from EasyMold, (order can be found here).

20170118_114356

Jackeline – December 13th:

Half the gummy bear recipe was made to test the silicone molds for the first time. We sprayed the mold with canola baking spray to prevent the raspberry flavored gelatin from sticking to it. Although we had previously tested the recipe, for some unknown reason the gelatin overflowed in the microwave and spilled all over. Despite this, however, there was enough of the gelatin mix to fill all of the molds. After the gelatin set in the molds, the gummy bears were really easy to take out. The gummy bears themselves received positive feedback from people who tasted them. They were a bit sticky, but not as much as the first time, so I think that the canola baking spray helped with the level of stickiness. Next time, we plan to use cornstarch.

Screen Shot 2016-12-14 at 12.14.13 PM

Above is a photo taken of the raspberry gummy bears in and outside of the mold.

Josie B. – December 9th:

The first batch of molds has been made. We used EasyMold silicone putty, which can be found here.

Copyright © 2013 by Ginger Davis Allman The Blue Bottle Tree, all rights reserved.

Copyright © 2013 by Ginger Davis Allman The Blue Bottle Tree, all rights reserved.

puddy

Above is a picture of our mold. Hopefully, four successful blocks will be made. One block was taken out too early, and it lost its shape. They must set for 24 hours before the candy mixture can be put in the mold. Once the mold had hardened partially, the blocks were removed.

20161209_114854  20161209_114908 20161209_114922

Aidan S. – December 7th:

In response to the message on 12/6/16, I have redesigned the 3D Model on TinkerCad. The pieces are now aligned horizontally and will make for a quicker prints and no collision. As for the infill, I have recognized that the Cura Software settings were completely wrong, infill was set very high and the nozzle size and feeder speed increased. I suspect that it was left over from the tests with flexible filament.

As for other project updates. Today a food grade silicone mold kit was bought from Amazon, it should be here by the end of the week and molds should be completed this Friday, the 9th.

Our updated schedule is as follows:

  • 8th, two more bricks are to be printed
  • 9th, Silicone Molds built
  • 12th, First Gummy created
  • 14th, Distribution

J. A. Wise – December 6th:

Aidan, the print is too close causing collisions with printing head. Also you need to reduce the infill. It is taking too long for the job to print.

Josie B. – December 2nd, we have designed the brick to be printed and the gelatin mixture has been tested.

The hesitant schedule is as follows:
December 6th- WISRD bricks printed
December 8th- Silicone mold created
December 14th- Candy distribution begins