Introduction: Write about what we’re doing, main goal, who I’m working with, etc.

 

Journal

Journal of 2/28/18

 

Journal of 2/1/18

Using what we’ve learned from testing with LEDs and flashlights, we have begun to work with lasers and etc.

 

Journal of 1/24/18

Lately, we have been testing with LEDs and also using lights to transmit a signal through an LED. By shining a flashlight through magnifying lenses, we can focus the light into the LED to receive a larger reading.

Journal of 12/11/17

Faraday cage:

As a Faraday cage distributes that charge or radiation around the cage’s exterior, it cancels out electric charges or radiation within the cage’s interior. In short, a Faraday cage is a hollow conductor, in which the charge remains on the external surface of the cage.

Journal of 12/4/17

• Learned more about impedance in circuits and inductors.

• Began research on impedance

• Variables in impedance, Z=impedance, R=resistance, Ω=frequency, L=inductor, and C=capacitor.

• Types of inductors:

The equation for impedance is: Z=R+((ΩL-1)/(ΩC)), where Ω is the frequency. The R represents any extra resistance in the circuit.

Journal of 11/13/17

Today, we worked on inductors and frequencies, but we mostly worked on learning about Sin waves. We learned about how to use the equation; opposite length/hypotenuse length to solve for the angle degree of a triangle. Every interval of 0 to 1 represents an angle in a triangle.

Journal of 11/2/17:

Finalizing work on the PCB, the final design isn’t complete yet, but we are making inroads. Created sample circuit board to help with visualizing what the PCB will look like with components connected to it. Have started to research soldering, and will begin to solder components in the future. As of now though, we have yet to complete our design for the capacitor tester, so we will try to work on that and get our design finalized.

Journal of 10/19/17:

Researched how to activate LEDs at different time intervals. Currently learning how to turn on LEDs through the usage of an Arduino. At the same time, I need to learn coding in order to program the Arduino, but this is not the current project. The main project is currently a circuit that measures the capacitance of capacitors. We have a prototype design for our PCB, and Luke Kenny is working with us on printing this board. Hopefully by next week, we will make more edits to our PCB design, and possibly start printing it.

Journal of 10/16/17:

Began to research Arduinos and we are starting to work on an rc car by using  a servo motor. Need to get a servo motor for the rc car, but that may take some time. Our current projects are an rc car that uses an Arduino board, researching and learning how to use an Arduino, and designing a circuit for measuring capacitance of capacitors.

Journal of 9/21/17:

Found a unique circuit board that had a variable resistor attached to it. The resistor was then removed from the circuit board and tested to see if it was usable or not. After some testing, the resistor was found to have a resistance of 500 ohms. On the bottom of the circuit board was a piece of metal with plates pointing outwards. This piece of metal is usually used for keeping circuits cool and preventing overheating. Also, with the addition of the variable resistor, this circuit must have either been used for a speaker or some sort of sound system.

Journal of 9/20/17:

Logged into the computer, Elphaba, and a pop-up appeared saying the Recycle Bin is corrupted. The location of the corruption is \\dumbledore\fldredir\zacharyt\Desktop. A switch was found that could be integrated into the circuit board, allowing to get a cleaner and more accurate rate of discharge. The addition of the switch required the bread board to be edited to integrate it.

Journal of 9/13/17:

While testing for data, we used four 1 Megaohm resistors, but they didn’t provide the data needed to examine. We then moved on to using five 5.1 Megaohm resistors to get more of an accurate data value. This change in resistors allowed for us to capture the correct data and record it.

Journal of 9/11/17:

Last week, we encountered a few problems with our breadboard, mainly centering around the capacitor and the resistor. When connecting and disconnecting the circuit, instead of the capacitor discharging normally, the capacitor discharges slowly. The problem itself required an immediate response, because if this problem was not solved, it could affect future experiments. After some troubleshooting and testing what the problem was, we discovered the problem was that we created the wrong circuit needed to test discharge.

Journal of 9/6/17:

This week we have started on constructing our first circuit board. Although this has taken some time to begin, work on the breadboard is going well, but slowly. We have connected a few wires, clips to connect to a battery and a voltage meter to the board. Compared to the previous weeks, we have gotten the most done within this week, helping us to push forward in our experiments. Next week, we are planning on adding more onto our breadboard, possibly finishing it. Researching the math more thoroughly behind it too will be another goal, allowing for more opportunities in experiments.

 

 

 

 

Class Notes

Notes of 11/2/17:

• r=1360

• 2.183 = 340 C

• .00642 farads = C, or 6.42 millifarads

 

9/13/17 Notes:

• Point before discharge=(2.167, 6.01)

• 6.01*.37=2.2237

• (2.34, 2.2237)

• t=rc

• 2.183=255,000,000 C

• .00000000856/number of capacitors(6)

• .0000000142 Farads = C, or 1.42 nano farads

 

9/11/17 Notes:

• Point before discharge occurs, (5.86, 9.658)

• Point of Tau, (2.16, 11.139)

• Difference, (3.7, 1.481)