Contirbuted Assets

Code for Anemometer (Not Calibrated)

Code for Stepper Motor (Basic Movement): \\dumbledore\assests\Aerodynamics\StepperMotor.ino

Code for Gyroscope SD Card Backup: \\dumbledore\assests\Athena\Allyson

Resources

Journal

September 21, 2020

After trying to reheat parts of the LNA to see if the issue was dull solder or solder bubbles, it still is not working. I now have a five volt resistor, which will allow us to simulate the horn and test the LNA much easier. I also am going to try to make another LNA using solder paste and a heat gun in the near future. I have been trying to better understand the DSPIRA project and get my LNA running. I am also working on getting the Raspberry Pi running at my home. My other goals include familiarizing myself with JavaScript and Linux.

August 26, 2020

School has just restarted in online format. As I am approaching the new year, I am also continuing a project I started with West Virginia University’s Radio Astronomy Instrumentation Lab (WVU RAIL). I am working on the Digital Signal Processing in Radio Astronomy (DSPIRA) project by creating a radio telescope. The goals for this year are to create three working radio telescopes, sync them up to each, and contribute to the creation of DSPIRA’s program with other groups in the future. I also hope to try writing articles about my work on this project. In the future we also hope to work with the cosmic ray array team to see if we can detect radio waves from cosmic ray showers. I currently have built the horn and soldered Low Noise Amplifier (LNA), though I am in the process of testing and fixing the LNA.

July 23, 2020

The foam cone for the radio telescope has been built according to the instructions.

July 15, 2020

I have begun working with the West Virginia University Radio Astronomy Instrumentation Lab (WVU RAIL) to build a horn radio telescope. I have been using their GitHub page to help me build the radio telescope. I have previously been on a conference call with them. Today I started the process of on-board soldering the low noise amplifier.

April 15, 2020

I went over the basic astronomical ideas that will be present in my PANOPTES work. I looked at the idea of polar alignment, meridian flip, right ascension, and declination. I learned about the magnitude of stars and depth of transitions. I also looked at the Swarthmore Transit Finder, both what it does and how to use it.

April 13, 2020

After returning from break, I have finished introducing myself to the different PANOPTES forums, including the PANOPTES website and Slack page. Work has started on the poster for the upcoming poster presentation night. I also began work on my vitae.

March 16, 2020

Today we are starting online classes due to the corona virus. I have been going over code for PANOPTES and now have a better understanding of how to use the code. I am going to start setting up accounts on the PANOPTES website and creating a branch on PANOPTES GitHub. I am also planning to work on my article in the following week.

February 18, 2020

I am now working with PANOPTES to run a functional program for the AAG Weather Sensor. I have found and downloaded a software file from the product’s website and am trying to see if we can use it properly. I also recently finished a rough draft for an article for WISRD’s Inquirer magazine.

February 3, 2020

I’ve begun working with the PANOPTES team. I have started learning the controls for the PANOPTES telescope, such as how to move the telescope and view photos.

January 9, 2020

I am now working with team Athena to upload information from the gyroscope to an SD card to record the data for when it is launched. The separate code for the gyroscope and the SD card initialization work on their own, but when combined run into errors. We believe that it has to do with memory and are testing this by moving it from and Arduino Uno board to an Arduino Mega 2560.

December 5, 2019

I’ve been working mainly on working with team Athena. They are launching a cosmic ray detector attached to a small rocket. This cosmic ray detector must be able to withstand 13 g’s, and I have been tasked with helping create the system that will be used to test if it can survive this. I have a large motor that I tested the speed of using a strobe light. Using the speed I found and the equation: (T²a)/4π², I was able to find how long the arm length would need to be to generate 13 g’s. I have also created a system to will report the RPM needed to reach 13 g’s at any given arm length. I have calculated that for an arm length of 10 cm, it will need to have a velocity of 344 RPM. The strobe light works at *100 RPM.

November 5, 2019

Presentations at poster night went well and I shared my work on the anemometer. I have begun to calibrate the anemometer and am working on collecting and analyzing accurate data. I am awaiting a new, more stable, design for the anemometer to continue my testing. I have also been making progress on implementing stepper motors needed for the fluid dynamics team’s rocketry project.

October 1, 2019

I have completed the program to print out the average of the wind speed every 500 runs of the program on the LCD. This allows the data to be readable by only displaying every few seconds. I am now waiting for the new anemometer to be built, so it can be re-calibrated and then the anemometer and display will be completed.

September 24, 2019

I have started my time at WISRD by getting reacquainted with working with Arduino. I am now working on my first real project by fixing the anemometer by rewiring and re-coding the work done by Spencer for the aerodynamics team’s wind tunnel project. I have now rewired all the components, so they are functioning. I have reworked most of the code, so that I can display values from the anemometer on an LCD. I’m still working our some bugs, then it should be usable again.