Today as we continue offsite learning I begin the process of learning how to use CAD. I have started a project where I must use onshape to design a 3d marble maze then will use the laser cutter to build it. Today I experimented with connecting to the 3d printer from my house. I can now send files from my computer to a 3d printer that is miles away to print.


Today is my second meeting in the 2020-2021 school year. The goals I have set for myself this year in WISRD are, being more dependent because as of right now I am the only one in the wind tunnel group in my period. I would also like to learn some more skills such as using the c&c machine, wiring, and coding arduinos. I would also like to right some white papers this year.


Today are group is working on are poster and this poster is more focused on the wiring so I got to learn a lot about what Roman and Jackson are doing. I am working on the air flow box on TinkerCad. And we are starting to brainstorm ideas of how we can make the wind tunnel look nicer when we return to campus.


Today I started working on my 3d printer and laser cutting white paper. I learned that in 1981 someone made a blueprint. But in 1986 a man invented and patented the 3d printer. Also I have been working on designing a new laminar flow box, my new design has more size variations on it.


Today we continue are research on laminar flow. Rainer and I constructed a funnel to concentrate the air flow to one place. Also we used the laser cutter to make a new laminar flow box. So far we have learned that the more air spee the farther the the strings stay semi straight.

The funnel we build with fan turned on


Today Rainer and I began are research to find the best design to get laminar flow. How we are testing this is by having a laminar flow square that was laser printed out of cardboard. Then we attach strings to multiple parts of it and if when we turn the fan on the strings aren’t flapping around then we have got laminar flow. We test this by making the box bigger and smaller and seeing what size works the best. We are trying to get the most airflow but at the same time get laminar flow.


Today everyone in are period that’s working on the wind tunnel got good amount of teamwork. What it was that we were working on is im caulking the plastic on the front of it. In order for me to do a good job I needed it to be taken down, while two of us held it the other two unbolted it, we were all communicating on which side was going to fall. I think communication and teamwork is one of the biggest this not only in WISRD but in life.


Today Rainer and I learned how to calibrate the 3D printer. You first print marks on the printer and you measure the offset and plug it into the printer. I am printing what I hope to be my final arduino holder for the arduinos that will be going into the control panel. I also helped Rainer make the new screen for the fans, this one has a wood frame and will be mounted to the wall, it has wire on all three sides.


Today I started a checklist to help us stay up to date with the other period. Joe has taught me that communication is one of the biggest things when your working on a project with others. We also started to design a fence that will be the final one. We are making it out of plexiglass. The design we are basing it off of is the lathe gear cover.

The Lathe gear cover we are basing are design off of


On Sunday I went to the UCLA event with Rainer. We went to the weather and earth ecosystem area and we learned about how the earth spinning affects its weather. The experiments had a spinning table with a water glass on top of it, the glass is earth and the water is the air. There was a control that was not spinning. We added a drop of water to each and the control disperenced the food coloring very fast and everywhere. On the other hand the spinning glass held the food coloring in the same spot with little change for a long time.

Aerodynamics wind tunnel


Today we mainly worked on are posters. I also helped carve out the revolving cups for the other period of WISRD. They were just a small bit smaller than there holder. I learned how we could widen a hollow rectangular shaped object with something that is round.


Today we got back are final result of the control panel. We learned to print the hole and rectangle a little bigger than it should be because you can always make it smaller but not bigger. We dry fit the throttle and screen and they leave ample room for other things. I am also happy to hear that the anemometer is going along nicely and that the wiring is done. Hopefully it will be running by open house.


Today we got the results of are 3rd attempt at the control panel. This was a 20hr print. After about a third of the way done the filament broke at the bottom and stopped feeding. Thankfully someone stopped the print because it would have kept printing till it thought it was done.


The past few days Rainer and I have been designing and printing the control panel. The first print we did we printed on the printer without support filament so it was saging. Also it was two small to fit anything in it. We want it two fit two arduinos, a bus box, a throttle, and a display screen. The second print was just a tiny bit small, we did not take in to account the wiring we have.



The past few days Ethan and I have been working on the cage to go over the propellers. First we cut it to the way we like. The we tried using a blow torch to heat the sauder and a coat hanger up to add support to the cage. The torch was to hot, the sauder would just brake in chunks. From then on we have just been soldering it together.